Institute of Computer Graphics and Knowledge Visualization
Graz University of Technology
Founded in 2005 as part of the faculty of Computer Science, the main mission of
the new institute is to build a bridge between two seemingly unrelated research
areas: Computer Graphics and Digital Libraries.
The truth is that one of the main reasons for the surprisingly slow uptake of computer
graphics as mainstream technology is the semantic gap: Geometric entities
(points, triangles, NURBS patches) usually have a distinct meaning (wall, elbow,
backrest). However, a 3D-model can also be seen as a generalized document.
This change of perspective suggests the transfer of digital library technology to
processing, annotation, summarization, indexing, and retrieval of 3D-data.
This new paradigm is explored in a number of national and EU projects.
Research Focus Computer Graphics
- DAVE: Definitely affordable, high-quality CAVE system (Inffeldgasse 25e) as
immersive display system for VR research
- OpenSG: Scene-graph engine for simulation and animation, synchronized
- GML: Generative design of procedural shape, with runtime system
that allows interactive parameter changes and multi-resolution rendering
- Generative surface reconstruction: Extraction of shape parameters
by fitting procedural shape templates to low-level geometry (meshes)
- MRT: Long-standing research and teaching platform for photo-realistic
rendering, with ray-tracing, radiosity, photon maps, spatial subdivision,
real-time ray tracing, ...
- CITYFIT: Massive high-quality urban reconstructions by
fitting shape grammars to images and derived textured pointclouds
Research Focus Digital Libraries
- Generalized documents (3D and other media types) as 1st-class citizens
in digital libraries
- Workflow support for electronic documents (e.g., Eurographics Digital
- Initiator & coordinator of the Strategic Research Initiative V3D2:
DFG-Schwerpunktprogramm "Verteilte Vermittlung und Verarbeitung Digitaler Dokumente"
- PROBADO project (coordination): Content-based indexing and retrieval service for